I Need a Soil Recommendation for Growing Cannibis

I’m going to buy some clones in a week or so and want to get started on getting the planters ready. Any ideas on the best soil to use? I went out on the internet and found a ton of soil “recipe’s”, but I really don’t want to fukk with all that buying and mixing. I’d rather just buy something pre-bagged from the hardware store or nursery.

Are you keeping the plant outdoors?

CocoLoco potting soil, a Fox Farms product looks like it works for this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs11-_2CQrVBDflq2-_wvtA/videos

I found this DM:

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll look it over.

What I would do if I were going it here would be dig a huge hole, as big as I could, mix in the dirt with leaf/grass compost from my pile which also has a lot of egg shells and banana peels in it, some dolomite lime and plant it.

Thanks, man. Fox Farms and Happy Frog seem to get a lot of recommendations.

I buried my kitchen compost things directly into the soil too. It’s a great suggestion.

My garden is looking great. I go look over it every morning after pouring a cup of coffee.

It’s looking fantastic! I’m so glad to be in a place where I can garden again.

1 Like

I think if you just use regular Fox Farms or Happy Frog though I think you’ll have to feed them… I see a lot of people recommending Jack’s Classic Fertilizer for marijuana…

I’ll live in your garage and tend to your garden if you want man! lol

1 Like

I’ve gotten like 4 plastic grocery sacks full of banana peels lately, I’m starting to wonder how much will be too much, they’re not a huge part of the pile yet but there’s definitely some in there. Coffee grounds, veggie scraps and stuff that goes bad in the fridge. I throw the egg shells in a bowl and then nuke them before putting them in the pile… I think for calcium though this year I’m going to try adding a little bone meal to the soil…

I’ve been digging a little out of the bottom of the pile and working it into my soil too, it’s not all the way there but it’s getting there… and my soil is full of worms, worms everywhere.

I don’t nuke the eggshells, but it might be a good idea.

I don’t know if it can be too much…as long as you mix in dry leaves and such…it tends to balance out.

Yeah, everything I’ve read says you’re good for about 2-3 weeks with the initial soil, then you have to feed them.

I wouldn’t buy anything targeted at pot growers like fox farms nutrients and all that bullshit… overpriced bottles of water with fancy artwork and cool names targeting stoners that don’t know anything about plants… check out the Jack’s Classic. I’d just grow it like a tomato basically, a really big tomato plant.

Some of this FF and HF shit is priced pretty high… and then you got to add perlite as well. The planters I planned on using are pretty huge, so that’s a lot of money. I might have to switch to 5 gallon buckets rather than the ceramic planters to keep the cost down. Seems like most growers use them. I also read that mixing your own soil is a lot less expensive than buying the high-end pre-bagged shit. I may have to bite the bullet and make my own.

1 Like

Yeah it doesn’t look cheap to do if you’re going to do it! You might get a half lb to a lb off a 5 gallon bucket if you’re lucky but it would keep the plants pretty small and manageable.

Concocting some type of super soil mix looks really expensive too, what you could do is get some stuff like bales of Promix which is basically just an inert medium and then feed them with some nutrients like Dynagro which is supposed to be really good for anything. I’ve never tried it but I’ve seen a lot of people recommend it and it will grow your plant from beginning to end… you’d just have to add like a teaspoon a gallon or something and mix it up and maybe test your PH and fix it if needed.

Hey, wasn’t the guy there before you growing all kinds of crazy stuff? Maybe you already have excellent soil. :slight_smile:

Just plant them where those stupid bushes were.

That’s actually a great idea. Maximum sunlight exposure and the soil is proven.