I picked a gallon bag of green beans today

I hadn’t picked on them for a couple days. I’ve gotten around 3 one gallon bags of beans so far. I need to freeze some.

I also picked a mostly ripened tomato and a 7-8 cherry tomatoes which is about what I’m getting off the tomato plants daily so far. Still waiting for the motherload to ripen. Plus, a zucchini and a few cucumbers which are starting to produce like crazy, and a handful of peas.

I canned 8 small jars of peperoncini peppers, sweet peppers and some dill cucumber slices the other night. My first attempt at water bath canning (done without any of the special canning stuff they sell) they all sealed up. I need some more jars now and a pair of those tongs to take the full jars out of the hot water would be nice. I did buy some canning salt.

When I was a kid we used to ride buses out to the fields and pick pole beans (As well as Strawberries, Marionberries etc) in theory to buy school clothes, but mostly we blew the money at the State Fair o Cotton Candy n stuff. I still remember how good that stuff picked right off the plant, even the beans. Of course that was before the Guatemalans came and stole our jobs.

I had ham, green beans, onions and potatoes the other night, it was great. I might try some pole beans next year, the bush type plants take up too much room and it’s a lot of bending over to pick them.

This is why we have “illegals” to do the work Americans just don’t want to do.

lol

I did it for about an hour yesterday and was wondering if I was going to be able to straighten out my back afterwards, I wouldn’t want to do it all day.

http://snappeeturtle.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/peck-of-pickled-peppers.jpg

I pickled some peppers the other day, need to do some more… but what am I going to do with a bunch of pints of pickled peppers? Not really into pickled peppers that much, they’re good with salads I guess.

It is hard work. I wouldn’t want to do it all day long.

I just snapped, blanched and froze a bunch of them today… it was a lot of work too. I was just outside looking and they need picked again. I picked like half a plastic grocery sack yesterday.

I had almost an 18 quart container of them today after picking on them all week… and they were pretty picked over already. It’s a large bowl of them snapped. We’re cooking them up with some ham and potatoes and having them tonight and for leftovers tomorrow.

I got a dicer too and chopped up a half gallon bag of diced green peppers today and froze them.