Lovely. Hot Water Heater Valve Broke

At fukking midnight and started flooding the garage. So I shut it down and am draining it. I capped a slow leak earlier today until I could get out and get a new valve. I got the valve tonight but decided to wait until tomorrow to replace it. I guess the pressure built up on the capped valve and the seal blew, so now I get to fukk with this all night. Never did a replacement before so I sure hope YouTube instructions are right.

I miss just being able to call a landlord for shit.

Bummer, dude. Good luck.

Thanks, still at it. Taking forever to drain the mutherfukker. Gotta get this done. Don’t have $500 laying around for a plumber.

1 Like

Did it break or just pop open? If it just popped open you might have a heating element that went bad.

It’s not the pressure relief valve. It’s the drain valve.

Still working on it… LOL.

This little washer cracked and caused the whole fukking ordeal.

It took almost 10 hours to drain the tank. If I had BD6’s air compressor I could have blown it out in 15 minutes, but I had to rely on gravity

Anyway, I got the new valve on and am letting the plumber’s dope set for a few minutes before I fire it back up and pray I’m back in business.

Too bad 6 isn’t here to coach you.

No shit. He’d have step by step advice.

He’d also be a valued neighbor.

1 Like

Yeah but those hot days when the pee starts evaporating off the driveway might be tough.[quote=“D_M, post:7, topic:12488, full:true”]
No shit. He’d have step by step advice.

He’d also be a valued neighbor.
[/quote]

1 Like

I had to drain my hot water heater once, it only took it about a half hour or so. I wonder what the deal is with yours?

I was draining it using a long garden hose so there wasn’t much in the way of gravity. If I could have gotten a huge bucket under the tank’s drain valve or had a drainage grate near the tank it would have taken maybe 30 minutes. I could have also just let it go and mopped up the mess later, but one night without hot water is no biggie.

Anyways, it’s all fixed now and no leaking. I’m just running water at all the sinks, toilets, etc to get the air out of the pipes. Saved myself about $400 not calling a plumber and since I don’t have $400 that’s a good thing.

1 Like

Yeah, that might have been the difference we had a steep driveway, and I used a garden hose probably about 30 feet that I had stretched down the driveway, so I had some gravity shit working for me.

Congrats on getting working!

1 Like

That sucks. Consider a tankless water heater…a lot more expensive…but no leaks, flooding.

1 Like

That’s definitely the way to go if you can afford it. I priced at few while sitting around googling plumbers who finance in case I couldn’t get this fixed.

I also sat around thinking about all the other people on this block who would have just picked up the phone and got someone out to fix it. I wish I had it like that, I really do. I’ve never had it like that and shit like this really causes me to wonder where the fukk I went wrong. Then I remember… Oh yeah, I got fukking married.

1 Like

Thanks man. It really was a minor repair. I’ve just been out of the game too long. 20 years ago I would have had it fixed and been getting drunk and hour later :smile:

Most of us don’t really have it like that. Face it, we’re not the 1%.

Life is a struggle for 99% of all of us…so getting married surely does make life more expensive…but what’s the alternative? No strings relationships? Right…that costs money for most men too.

There is no easy out.

1 Like