Make your own mycorrhizae

So basically the idea is you get beneficial fungus (mycorrhizae) growing around the roots of your plants, the fungus breaks down the organic matter etc. and helps deliver the nutrients to the plant resulting in bigger and healthier plants/fruits.

This usually happens naturally but you can make it happen faster by innoculating the roots and soil of a plant when transplanting. The deal is, the ready made mycorrhizae is expensive and who even knows how good it is. So I’m trying to figure out how to make my own, this method looks pretty easy but there has to be some others…

http://www.sunseed.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/A-SIMPLE-METHOD-FOR-MAKING-YOUR-OWN-MYCORRHIZAL-INOCULUM.pdf

Not the same thing, but it reminded me of when I used this product on a 300 acre tree planting project that I was responsible for. I ended up winning an award from the state because the project was so successful. I can’t say if the product was responsible for the success rate, but it sure didn’t hurt.

1 Like

Isn’t that kind of interfering with nature? Mycorrhizal fungi is going to show up eventually anyway, so why the need to speed things up.

That’s the kelp/seaweed, makes plants go nuts. :slight_smile:

Not really, you’re just making the natural process occur faster, makes your soil healthier, which makes your plants healthier.

Their whole company is based around the seaweed/kelp. Kelp foliar spray or watering with it is great stuff. I bought like 4oz or something of it in dried soluble form on ebay for like $15, enough to make like 800 gallons at the recommended 1/4 teaspoon a gallon. My garden this year will be the best ever. I want to get some “kelp meal” too but it seems pretty expensive, $79 for a 50lb bag of it and that’s at a local ag/feed store.

I had the tree planters dip the roots of the saplings in the stuff before planting. There were some other things that I did, but I’ve got a feeling that it gave the boost that the saplings needed to get started.

I’m having bid troubles with my variegated ivy.

I ordered a small packet of this stuff online… looks pretty awesome. You just sprinkle around the roots and the new soil when you transplant something… you don’t need nearly as much as they’re recommending… but I guess the more you use the more they sell.