Man these pickled jalapenos I made

are the best, the sweet banana pepper rings are great too…

I basically just washed them, sliced them up, put them in jars while the vinegar boiled and then I let it cool off just a little and added it to the jars. Then refrigerate… probably not suitable for storing outside of the fridge and they’ll probably only be good for a few months.

I tried some using the water bath type canning method and it boiled the peppers too much leading to mush, these are perfect.

2 Likes

I love pickled jalapenos…good stuff.

When you peel the skin from tomatoes and peppers do you steam them? I tried dunking them in boiling water for a few seconds but I didn’t have much luck.

I’ve never taken the skin off peppers before. To blanch and skin tomatoes I throw them in a pot of boiling water for about 40 seconds to one minute and then immediately put them in a bowl of ice water to stop them from cooking.

Then I cut an x on the bottom of the tomato and peel the skin off.

Thanks! I will try steaming to see if that works.

I roast them on a grill or a pan and turn them…then the skin peels off easily.

But you have to appreciate a roasted flavor for your tomatoes.

I have done the the grilled pepper thing. I like the charcoal flavor.

I don’t do this often but today I had some grilled Beef Polska Kielbasa. I got the grill really hot and scored one side, cooking the un-scored side first. It was slightly charred on both sides and I had some cooked sauerkraut and deli mustard as well. It was awesome.

There is nothing wrong with eating kielbasa once in a while. Protein and even a little saturated fat can be satiating.

I roasted a few sweet peppers on the grill the other night, they were good. I made some chicken fajitas last week that were way better than the Mexican place we eat at sometimes.

get yourself some cumin, garlic, Mexican oregano, and fresh or dried peppers and you can make most Mexican food taste better than the Mexican restaurants. there’s a lot more, but those few basics spices are very common

most food they cook at Mexican restaurants is bland and meant for people who aren’t used to eating with spices

The fajitas I basically used cumin, a bunch of chili powder, maybe a little paprika because I didn’t have any cayenne powder, a lot of fresh peppers and onions and a huge probably almost 2lb tomato that I added right towards the end of cooking them. In a big iron skillet of course. I always use cumin in anything Mexican, garlic sometimes… I’ll have to check into getting a Mexican Oregano plant, I use cilantro in most Mexican stuff when I have it too. You’re right about them making stuff bland. I like spicy… I don’t cook the more complicated Mex food though, just the easy quick stuff like this. :slight_smile:

Most everyday Mexican food is sort of quick like that. Cilantro is my favorite herb, followed by basil.

Yum.

Still eating on these jars of pickled hot and sweet peppers, just snacked on some… still great.

I don’t see how you could can peppers with more heat than pouring in the boiling vinegar without making them sludge. Plus it’s a lot easier just to boil some vinegar and pour it in the jars and put them in the fridge.