Mexican Recipes

In honor of my country of origin’s recent independence day, called Fiestas Patrias, I will post a recipe that is traditional for Independence day

Chiles en Nogada - please note the red, white and green in the recipe to honor the Mexican flag, sorry no eagle or serpent

Stuffed green poblano peppers with a walnut sauce and garnished with parsley or cilantro

It’s a labor of love, you don’t come home and make it for dinner after working all day. Cook it on the weekend and plan ahead. Also, some people prefer chopped meat vs ground. You can substitute proteins, turkey instead of pork or beef, chopped beef and pork. A pork only version…etc.

Read these recipes and more, use different fruit - you can make it to your liking, but it’s about sweet and savory, creamy and tart…Add cinnamon, use sage if you’re using poultry, etc.

We always maintain the fidelity of a recipe the first time we cook. After that, we get creative. It’s the fun in cooking.

4 Likes

This is Haggis… my national dish, it’s grey like death.

All one needs to do to make it is to kidnap a sheep from a farmers field, demand a ransom, rape it and then murder it. Then eviscerate it using the set of gourmet stake knives your Aunt Joan bought you two Christmases’ ago, and divorce it from its own stomach lining.

Now head to you nearest abattoir under the cover of darkness, and sweep up the remnants from the slaughterhouse floor. Put the labour of your criminal activity in a bag and run before the Rossers arrive. Addendum. Do not attempt this in America if you are black or Hispanic, it may end with you being shot in the back. Multiple times.

Take your ill gotten gains home, and stuff into the sheep’s stomach lining. Boil on a low heat for 3yrs, 6months, 22 days and 3hrs. Cooking times may vary depending on hob.

Garnish with parsley, hope that your intestines are still viable and grated turnip.

Enjoy!

4 Likes

or

Yours truly has done both…I’ve also been walking and fallen over in laughter and almost peed my pants. That brought tears to my eyes.

I hope my fellow cbters are thrilled with you being here as much as I am.

2 Likes

I don’t know what this says but my Mexican amigos found it hilarious

1 Like

I’ll translate:

Appreciate tamales

Appreciate bread with chicken

Because there’s a generation of aunties and grandmothers that don’t know anything more than taking “selfies”.

Same concept: The Patriarchy is strong…lol

1 Like

Speaking of Tamales I was watching a cop show the other night Bosch on Prime, in one scene a couple cops meet at a taqueria and a couple of them are eating tamales by hand in the husks it didn’t look like they were eating the husk just using them like a hot pad type thing, I’m not sure I have ever seen them eaten that way but after thinking about it that might be more ‘authentic’ than unrolling the husk setting it aside and eating the tamale without

If you don’t have a plate, I suppose. But mostly we always unwrapped them and put the husk aside…

Who knows?

2 Likes

Yeah it just look odd, and I’d eaten tamales with my Mexican co-workers, never saw any of them ever do it either.

Wouldn’t the husk be as hot as the tamal? I suspect this was a props error in production.

1 Like

That’s what I’m thinking too. It was only a couple seconds of airtime…just helping set the scene of meeting at a place on the streets that vends such things.

Mise-en-scène type shit!

The husk is hot too, but it cools faster. I’m sure you’re right about it being an error.

Though there was the time, I believe it was Ford, tried eating a tamal with the husk on. Good times for us Meskins…

1 Like

Idly looking for the end of the internet, I decided to check out the ‘Tex-Mex’ restaurant that one of my high school buddies helped start in the 80’s…my Bud had left the partnership years ago and got a “real job”. anyway the Restaurant closed…but one of their signature dishes was the Chili Verde. My friend was the original Chef created the recipes for most of the menu and was a talent in the kitchen, with the occasional bouts of arrogance that come with the territory, I don’t know if this “his” recipe’ or if it has evolved in time.

We have had several people ask us to post the recipe for our chile verde so here it is. Where it mentions the word “can”, it is referring to a #10 gallon sized can. Our cook also added a little bit of flour to thicken it. To make smaller amounts, you will have to do the math. Would love to see posts from those of you who try making it😀

For the occasional larger gathering, add more foods i suppose…

1 Like

Yeah, but they have these: :grin:

HORMEL-Beef-Tamales-in-Chili-Sauce-Canned-Tamales-Shelf-Stable-15-oz-Steel-Can_c16ab3ae-f55b-4ba2-bc78-7590a58e2a9d.acdb558e922cf8de7f3031f87fe20eed1

I actually recall the first time I saw those in a can at the grocery store when I was a kid. I also remember being confused.

Like what? How do they have, like 10 tamales in that little can? It doesn’t make any sense. It just did not compute. :grinning:

2 Likes

Can verify, I’ve eaten lots of Trunk Tamales over the years.

2 Likes

That’s not wrong.