On the hunt for chicken shit

Trying to source some chicken poop locally… already wrote a couple people selling eggs on Craigslist. Looks like it’s the shit for fertilizing the garden.

Fetch some chickens

I’ve thought about it and then I’ve thought, man that would be a lot of work, I’d have to learn a bunch of stuff about chickens, take care of them and if I didn’t learn how to butcher them or have the heart to do it by winter I’d have to find some way to keep them warm in the winter… too much bullshit for some chicken shit and some eggs. If I had a few acres of land maybe.

Chicken manure is very good for the garden…it can burn the plants if you use too much.

Just be careful with that…otherwise, it and steer manure are great for the garden.

I saw someone on YouTube using it, he was growing in containers and in the bottom of the 5 gallon or so containers he put about 3 cups of chicken manure, a couple cups of wood ash, some ground up egg shells and banana peels mixed with soil with a thin layer of unfertilized soil between that and his transplant… his plants looked awesome later on growing in that.

egg shells, coffee grounds, banana peels…all the non meat, non brain leftovers from the kitchen are great for composting imo

I’ve had lots of beautiful plants from composting…plus, less stuff goes into sewage via garbage disposers and less to landfills.

It’s good all the way around.

I throw the stuff on my compost pile but that kind of stuff is a very small part of my huge leaf compost pile. Coffee grounds I add directly to my raised beds. Egg shells I usually smash up (I’m going to grind them up this year) and put at the bottom of holes for tomatoes.

I want to start some homemade worm bins, you’ve done the worm thing before, here’s my question, does it stink?

I haven’t done the worm thing. Maybe this year. I don’t think any of these done properly stink. I’ve stopped at booths put on by Master Gardener’s in my community and never noticed a bad odor.

I thought you were worm farming a few years ago, looks pretty easy, I see a guy he just puts them in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid with a 4 inch hole or so cut out of the middle of it, with some peat moss, feeds them some finely ground corn/oat meal I think it is and they make him a lot of fertilizer.

He dumps it out once in awhile, collects his worm castings and adds fresh peat moss… looks like that’s about it.

I throw everything on the compost. The crows usually steal the meat though.