Shit On Toast

A while back I asked if anyone knew what a meal that my mother made was called. Gypsy suggested that it was called Shit On Toast, also called SOS. This is what it was called by members of the US military in WW2. She was right. I tried to make it using bottled dried beef like my mother used. I also tried to keep the calories down by using a medium sized container of fat free sour cream.

My first attempt was edible but not very tasty. Snoopy suggested that I just use regular beef cold cuts.

I tried again and the results were Awesome.

I wanted to use 2 Birds Eye® Boxed Vegetables(Fordhook Lima Beans) but I could only get my hands on a package of GOYA Frozen Lima beans. I slightly precooked them along with a package of steam-able Asparagus Spears which I eventually cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces.

1. Gently melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a Dutch Oven.

2. Place 1 lb of Beef Shaved Steak into pan. I used the Old Neighborhood brand. It’s excellent for this purpose. Partially cook over medium heat.

3. Add a full 1 1/2 lbs of regular sour cream, not a good time for a low calorie substitute. Add precooked Lima Beans. Also a full can of drained Whole Artichoke Hearts. Do not cut them up.

4. I couldn’t find my Paprika so I used Ground Turmeric. Your choice. Also add Hand Ground Pepper and some Salt.

5. Cook gently for several minutes, then add cut up Asparagus and cook a minute more.

6. serve over fresh bread of your choice. I used a split French Baguette.

The meal was delicious. I might used a squeeze of Lime or Lemon next time, maybe both but not too much.

Recipe should serve 4. Enjoy.

They had that when I was in - in the mid sixties - everyone claimed it was supposed to be so horrible - it was quite fine with me - actually the Army food was quite acceptable where I was and ya got as much as ya wanted. I used to gulp down gallons of the choc milk from the milk machine after drinking half the night

they were fattening you up for the slaughter.

A lot I was in Basic with I think did get wacked - I dunno fer sure - I got the fuck out of the line unit by luck

Maybe your commanding officers liked you.

Yeah, right - I was such a dream recruit - that must be why I was almost on fucking continuous KP - cause they liked me so much they let me scrub pots and fucking pans

lol.
Well I guess you are just lucky. I was in a VFW not too long ago. Some of those guys got out alive, but I wouldn’t call them lucky.

Did they use the dried beef with yours?

Try my recipe. You will love it. Guaranteed.

Before things really heated up in Nam I took a bunch of physical and mental tests and I qualified to be an Army helicopter pilot but I decided to go to school first. Then all hell broke out. I really just wanted to learn how to fly a copter. :slight_smile:

Funny how things work out.

When I was a kid we used to have something similar to this called “Shit on a Shingle” which was a white gravy similar to biscuits and gravy with dried beef in it over toast.

Oops, I think that I meant shingle, not toast. That would explain the SOS.

Try my recipe, I think you will like it.

SOS for me was biscuit gravy and ground beef over either toast or biscuits. My Mom made it regularly and we liked it.

We all know what you meant as we allow fer yer dementia

What’s shaved beef anyway?

male stripper?

It’s a metrosexual with a razor.

It’s a healthy, tasty sliced meat good for just about anything. Just add your imagination.