Sold some veggies yesterday

The urban gardening group I’m in runs a veggie stand a couple days a week in a not very busy but kind of a good opportunity location and has a spot at the locals Farmers Market… I took them some tomatoes and a few other things yesterday and dropped them off. I probably sold some more today but as of yesterday I had made a whole $10 :slight_smile: My first produce $.

I noticed though that my stuff looks better than most of the other stuff they had, fresher, cleaner ,bigger and all around better looking.

Also they don’t have a lot to sell themselves, I got my stuff in really early this year, they’re just starting to pick some beans where as I’ve been picking beans for a month, same with tomatoes. The stuff I got in early looks far better and has far out produced the stuff I got in the ground late.

Saturday morning I’m taking a bunch of stuff to the Farmer’s Market to sell from their stand to see how I do. It’s more of the well off crowd there, I think I can get rid of some of this huge kale I have and some swiss chard, along with some tomatoes and cucumbers.

1 Like

Hey sell out, maybe we should call you Monsanto LOL

I don’t do what I do for the money, it’s just a by product, if I do try to do stuff for the money it never works out, I have to do what I want to do and then sometimes the money will come easily and I will take it. :slight_smile: I’m doing 100 tomato plants next year, I should be able to make a few k off them easily.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with making a couple bucks off something you seem to love doing anyway, good on ya. Maybe you won’t make a “Profit” but a few bucks can pay for some supplies, seeds and tools etc.

I got to a Farmer’s market almost every Saturday, your stuff is very fresh looking and hearty looking as well.

Thanks, I think my stuff looks good too and I don’t really do much besides plant it, water it once in awhile and pick it. I do put some labor in working up the soil well. I spread a little pelletized lime around the tomato plants to minimize mineral deficiencies that cause blossom end rot. I’ve given them a little compost tea here and there but not much. I think a lot of people over complicate things.

My plants look a lot better than the tomato patch a few blocks away on an empty lot and they were pumping theirs up with chemical fertilizers which I’m sure is why their water in their tanks was blue. I need like some 8ft high stakes or something though. I think that’s part of their problem, their stakes are only like 3ft tall… I used 5ft ones this year and all of my plants are overgrowing them, some of the cherry tomato plants are 7ft tall. I’ve seen some people using like a clothesline type method and tying them up… I have a clothesline I might use for that next year.

Double your prices.

Do you urinate on the soil?

It seems that you are having fun! That’s what counts.

Is your Swiss Chard the colored type?

How does the clothes line idea work? Does it involve a horizontal clothesline about 8 feet high?

I stopped doing the urine fertilizer thing, I’ve only used it as a compost pile activator this year. I still think it’s a good fertilizer but you know how people are, they’re perfectly fine with eating stuff grown in the urine of other animals and cow shit but my piss would just be unacceptable. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have the red swiss chard planted,

Yeah the clothesline idea they basically drop a loop down tied to the line to hold up the plants.

So I got up this morning, harvested some swiss chard, kale, peppers and some more tomatoes, cucumbers and took the stuff out there. My stuff was selling and I was surprised that the kale and swiss chard seemed to be selling the fastest.

kale seems and to some degree seem to be the veggies du jour these days.

Seems easy enough to grow and pick if you can sell it right away and not have to attempt to store it. Same with swiss chard, I just went out there this morning with a knife and chopped a bunch of big leaves off. I think the trendy health conscious thing right now is to put kale and swiss chard in blender type smoothies.

I noticed a few people at the Farmers Market looked like they were going to St. Louis or somewhere to some produce distribution place and buying boxes of tomatoes etc. Others looked like small farms, only a few looked like they had organic stuff.

Yeah the juicing thing is really big right now, one of my nieces is a vegan health nut and she preaches juicing all the time.

1 Like

Maybe I’ll do a ghetto plot of kale next year… I’m thinking tomatoes, man I’m probably going to get robbed… but if you planted potatoes they’re probably not going to go dig up your potatoes, kale and swiss chard most won’t even know what it is, so I’m thinking I might do some of the ghetto gardening for some things and grow some tomatoes in the backyard.

Plus I really like the deal where I only have to drop the stuff off and they get rid of it for me and it seems like they’re getting rid of my stuff. I’d hate to sit out there all day twiddling my thumbs trying to sell shit.

I just made carrot, beet, ginger and parsley juice this morning.

yeah then you’d have to talk to all those dipshits and act interested in there drivel.

I’m no schmoozzer…

Here’s an idea for a sign when you hit the Farmers Market.

1 Like