Submarines

My recently passed Grandfather (92 years old!) volunteered for diesel electric sub duty in WWII. I was always proud of this as I knew it took some balls to do such a thing.

What I didn’t know was that it was an utter act of insanity on his part.

One summer, while I visiting, he was working on an aeration fountain for the decorative pond in the backyard. I commented that it was a pity it wasn’t deeper and bigger, that way we could swim in it. (Summers were very hot where they lived.)

He replied that he couldn’t swim. (pause)

To which I replied “What do you mean you can’t swim?”

Grandpa “I sink like a rock. Always have.”

Me “Then how did you get in the Navy?”

Grandpa “I could hold my breath for 2 minutes.”

At this point it took me a few seconds to formulate a response.

Me “TWO MINUTES??? FAT LOT OF GOOD THAT’D DO YOU AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN IN A LEAKY TIN CAN!!!” At which point I stormed off to the house. When my grandmother asked what I was obviously upset about, I told her “he’s crazy!” and said nothing more about it.

We never spoke of it again. I still admired the man for his service (he served from WWII until the start of the Vietnam war, and retired a Lt. Commander) but it only demonstrated that for all his bravery and intelligence, he was essentially just as bat shit crazy as everyone else in the family.

2 Likes

Swimming does not do ya any good anyway

There are escape methods and you would have a life vest anyway

the cramped quarters would do me in

I don’t know how they did it

1 Like

If my grandfather was any indication, they were were bat shit crazy.

Fuck, even the Indians have a boomer

I wonder where the cows sleep

If you’re ever in SF, they have a WW2 American boat on display as a walk-through museum. Same deal with a boat in Pearl Harbor. Tied up to a pier, non-threatening.

American boats were ocean liners compared with German U-boats, even WW2 U-boats. U-505 is as clausterphobic as Das Boot portrayed them.

Wherever they damn please, it’s a Hindu thing.

The worst luck in the world

fired the last torpedo and it’s time to set a course for home and the torpedo circled and hit them - saw on doc on it on the tele

At 02:30 on the morning of 25 October, the 24th and last torpedo (a Mark 18 electric torpedo) was fired. It broached and curved to the left in a circular run. Tang fishtailed under emergency power to clear the turning circle of the torpedo, but it struck her abreast the after torpedo room approximately 20 seconds after it was fired.[DANFS 1] The explosion was violent, and men as far forward as the control room received broken limbs. The ship went down by the stern with the after three compartments flooded. Of the nine officers and men on the bridge, including O’Kane,[23] three were able to swim through the night until picked up eight hours later. One officer escaped from the flooded conning tower and was rescued with the others.[24][23]
The submarine bottomed at 180 ft (55 m) and the thirty[23] survivors crowded into the forward torpedo room as the aft compartments flooded, intending to use the forward escape trunk.[23] Publications were burned, and all assembled in the forward room to escape. The escape was delayed by a Japanese patrol which dropped depth charges, and started an electrical fire in the forward battery. Beginning at 6:00 AM on 25 October, using the Momsen Lung, “the only known case” where it was used,[23] thirteen men escaped from the forward torpedo room.[25] By the time the last had exited, the heat from the battery fire was so intense, paint on the bulkhead was scorching, melting, and running down.[26] Of the 13 men who escaped from the forward torpedo room, only five were rescued.[25][27] One sailor who was near the group of five but injured during the ascent was not rescued.[28] Three who were on the bridge were rescued after swimming for 8 hours.[25] Another survivor escaped the conning tower and used his pants as a flotation device.[25] A total of 78 men were lost.[29] Those who escaped the submarine were greeted in the morning by the sight of the bow of the transport sticking straight out of the water.[30]
Nine survivors, including O’Kane, were picked up the next morning by Japanese frigate CD-34.[31] Survivors of Tang’s previous sinkings were on board, and they beat the men from Tang. O’Kane stated, “When we realized that our clubbing and kickings were being administered by the burned, mutilated survivors of our handiwork, we found we could take it with less prejudice.”[21] The nine captives were placed in a prison camp at Ōfuna until the end of the war, where they were interrogated by Japanese intelligence.[30]
Tang was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 8 February 1945.[DANFS 1]

I was thinking I remembered U-505 being in Mobile, or Pensacola. Maybe I misremember. I did a U-boat there and probably one in Chicago, but it was long ago.

U-505 is in Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry.

1 Like

Okay, yes…I did see that. Also the Yankee sub SS-228 (USS Drum) in Mobile at Battleship Park.

Jeez - no shortage of militards around here.

WTF militards -

I was reading about WW1 - witless fools and sich and the books got onto subs

don’t make me come to NJ and tase ya

Just think of how many toilets they could have built instead.

1 Like