The Martian

Has anyone seen this movie? I am going to see it in a few hours.

It’s 5 dollar day. lol

Review from my son’s friend.

2015 is shaping up to be a year of surprises. The Walk, Ant-Man, The Kingsman, Trainwreck, Straight Outta Compton and Man from U.N.C.L.E. all turned out to be good. All of these films had me curiously worried. The Martian looked mediocre. Ridley Scott hasn’t made a great film since (in my opinion) American Gangster in 2007. But after seeing The Martian it’s clear that even it eclipses some of his best films. This may be the biggest surprise of all.
Take it in, The Martian is a damn good film. I know, it’s hard to imagine.
Matt Damon gives a once in a lifetime performance, I know, bear with me here.
Who would have thought that this film would be one of the best this year? Never even crossed my mind. It’s hilarious, intense and most of all it’s smart. From the opening scene, it keeps you on your toes and the edge of your seat. It’s expects you to know what’s happening. It doesn’t pull the usual sci-fi-action punches that it could have done that very easily and that’s why the film works, it’s against convention.
The story is great and the script is even better. Ridley’s direction only makes it stronger. It’s not arrogant and it’s not pretentious but it is sure of itself and it is indeed, confident film-making. The film has a perfect balance of both comedy and thrills. It makes you want these characters to achieve their goals. It make you fight in their corner. The film is a success from start to finish. It’s a must see.
Final Verdict: A

Thanks. I am hitting the shower!

I was so inspired that I bought some duct tape and planted some potatoes.

I went to see it with my son opening weekend. He is a reluctant movie goer…thinks most movies suck.

But before too long we were both enjoying it a great deal. It was fun and I think we both gave it a B+/A-…not the best movie we’ve ever seen, but better than many.

1 Like

He got the idea from George Bush…FACT.

I enjoyed the movie. The scenery and the settings were excellent.

I enjoyed the first half much more than the second half. The second half was a bit like a Global Kumbayah experience and the rescue was not believable; too much like the car traveling from building to building in the movie Furious 7. Fun to watch but not very believable.

Worth watching. I hope Apey brings a tissue though, what with all the good kumbayah feelings.