"Trump has no obligation to conform to reality" The Law Offices of The Dollar Store

Icon for Bring Back Democracy

Bring Back Democracy

Posted by

Mark Zaborowski

Wed

TRUMP CLAIMS - IN COURT - HE HAD NO DUTY TO SUPPORT THE CONSTITUTION

Donald Trump’s crackerjack legal team was in a Colorado court explaining why the 14th Amendment’s restrictions against traitors, insurrectionists, and seditionists running for office do not apply to him. You are not going to believe the specious argument they threw out there on his behalf:

“The Presidential oath, which the framers of the Fourteenth Amendment surely knew, requires the President to swear to ‘preserve, protect and defend’ the Constitution — not to ‘support’ the Constitution,” said the filing by Trump’s attorneys. “Because the framers chose to define the group of people subject to Section Three by an oath to ‘support’ the Constitution of the United States, and not by an oath to ‘preserve, protect and defend’ the Constitution, the framers of the Fourteenth Amendment never intended for it to apply to the President.”

Please excuse the vulgarity, but … Are you shitting me? Yeah, I am sure that some MAGATS will stroke their beards and nod their heads and sagely proclaim, “Yeah, that sounds about right to me!” Others will accuse me of suffering from the dreaded “TDS” for even writing about this. But for everyone else, this statement moves Bill Clinton’s denials - for example - way down the list of Presidential BS.

Clinton’s, “I did not have sexual relations with that woman” (He claimed to have not considered oral sex as a sexual relation) seems almost quaint now, just a rung or two above “I did not inhale” when asked if he ever smoked weed. Yup. He lied about having an affair. Hardly earthshaking or anything that the framers of the Constitution thought made him unfit for office, or they would have said so, according to Trump and his lawyers. There is one steaming pile uttered by an ex-POTUS that formerly held the top spot until now, though:

In the notorious 1977 interviews, David Frost asked Richard Nixon about crimes in general and what a president might do if he thought it in the best interests of the country or something. A defiant Nixon maintained, “When the President does it, that means it is not illegal.” Of course, “Tricky Dick” was just blowing smoke. By accepting a Presidential pardon from Gerald Ford, Nixon by definition admitted that he had committed illegal acts.

Trump is blowing an even bigger cloud of smoke. No, the US Constitution does not specifically say that “preserve, protect, and defend” means the same thing as “support”. It doesn’t have to lay that out. Any damned fool can see past the semantic games Trump and his lawyers are playing. By even trying this crap, it is obvious that nothing is sacred to this man. Not God, not country, not even his own solemn oath.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

If it had said “support”, his crap lawyers would have found another verb synonym to deny.

2 Likes