Trump budget eliminates funding for earthquake early warning system

It gives you PLENTY of time to get out of a structure that could easily kill you. Trust me. We got out of the house in about 30 seconds during the Northridge quake. it also gives you time to turn off your gas. I would rest much easier if we had that system in place.

Isn’t it dangerous to be out on the street as well due to falling debris and such?

You know we are talking about earthquakes right? You can’t really outrun one.

I’ll take my chances outside any day over being inside. After the quake, the LA Times did a series of bios and cause of death for every person who died in the quake. I read every one of them. The ONLY people who died outside died under freeway overpasses or on collapsed freeways. Everyone else (the vast majority) was killed by shit falling on them in their houses. Shit like walls.

Everyone in our neighborhood was outside before the earthquake was over.

What about in a city setting with skyscrapers, falling glass, concrete, etc?

How is the warning distributed, especially at night?

Well, it hasn’t been implemented, so I don’t know.

High rises are always a risk. I prefer to stay away from them. Glass is bad, too. It can be just as bad inside as out.

The thing is, if you know two minutes before a quake hits, you can get outside and step away from glass, power lines, and trees if you’re lucky. It’s way better than no warning. Infinitely better.

Is there some evidence of this?

Some evidence of what? That’s it’s better to stand outside in a clearing than to be inside under a ceiling that could fall on you or a gas leak that could explode? Are you serious?

Nitpick this all you want, Starling. I live in earthquake country, and I have been in quite a few big ones. I’m going outside. Period. And two minutes’ warning would be far preferable to none.

Chances of me being hurt in a city

ZERO

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/earlywarning/

A few seconds would have saved a lot of folks during the implosion of the World Trade Centers

1 Like

At least allow me to clarify before acting all indignant please.

I mean is there any evidence of the efficacy of early warning systems.

Duke, I appreciate that early warnings are useful in things like volcanic eruptions and terrorist attacks but we are talking about EARTHQUAKES.

Don’t make me provide you with directions back to your tent.

That’s the equivalent of asking me if there’s any evidence that more people die inside buildings during an earthquake than die outside in clearings. Or if more people die in gas explosions during earthquakes than die when you have time to turn off the damn gas.

I’m not entertaining the question further because the answer is so evident, and I have explained it multiple times already. It’s clearly why the USGS developed the system in the first place.

Try clicking on a few of the links I posted for your contrary self. I told you from personal experience how much I would appreciate the system, and that it would have made a difference to my family, and to almost every family who lost someone during the Northridge quake (yes – they would have LIVED if they had gotten outside) but that’s just not good enough for you.

You have taken this thread from the topic of Mexico getting money from the US, to the topic of outside being as dangerous as inside during an earthquake, to the topic of whether 2 minutes really makes a difference. If you’re so determined to dismiss the early warning system, for WHATEVER reason you can cook up, why don’t you send Trump a letter of congrats and quit challenging every single thing I post with your innanity? It would save you some time.

1 Like

I am trying to have a discussion with you about earthquake warning systems. You have said it is better to be outside, and I accept your analysis. I was merely wondering if there is any evidence regarding the efficacy of this warning system. That usually involves data that demonstrates it’s effectiveness. Why asking if you have that information is being “contrary” is beyond me.

Once again, you have turned a civil discussion into a victimized fueled rag fest. I haven’t insulted you or slighted you by asking about earthquakes and warning systems, so why are you being so needlessly aggressive?

I gots to side with L_B on this Starling

Hopefully yer tent will have an earthquake warning system installed

1 Like

Did you click on the damn USGS link I posted? I’m tired of this. Do your own research. And send that letter to Trump! He needs more support.

Side with her on what?

I made a comment about Mexico getting money for California so it can afford one (ha ha ha). Then I asked about data regarding the efficiency of this system.

Do you have that data Duke?

No, sorry. I didn’t see your links. I missed them in the scroll.

I will look at them now. Thank you.

^^^^ Gaslighter.

What? What’d I do?