Gardening 2023

so in 4 days those 3 trays have grown this much

2 Likes

Pretty amazing. That is a good quantity for just a couple of days.

I was wondering if I could break up some store bought white mushrooms( I read that the white mushrooms are superior to the brown ones) and grow them in a medium. I worry that the medium might introduce some different spores, as unlikely as that might be. :worried:

I planted this lettuce on Saturday and it germinated very well using the stacked tray method…

2 Likes

@LittleRambo2 it’s doubtful that tossing some shrooms in something is going to grow more. You can do things like tissue culture like dissecting a piece of the mushroom flesh and then putting it in a sterile container of sugar water to clone it.

There’s a lot of information about growing mushrooms online. Mushrooms begin their life as a mold and the mushroom is the fruit of the mold… You need a pressure cooker like a Presto 23 quart in order to sterlize whatever you’re growing the mold on. Most people use grains like popcorn but it depends on what you’re trying to grow. I would suggest looking into growing Oyster mushrooms in a 5 gallon bucket. They’re way better than any of those button mushrooms and bella types which I don’t eat.

1 Like

No, I haven’t.

1 Like

I will check it out online. It sounds pretty complicated. :slightly_smiling_face:

The oysters look pretty easy… I want to try it I just don’t have easy access to straw… You can buy syringes online of oyster mushroom liquid culture or spores.

1 Like

Thanks. Keep me informed, if you do the oysters.

Amazon sells straw.

too expensive, I’d want a cheap farm bale.

2 Likes

So it looks like they use wood chips for oysters, some types of mushrooms use straw, I think Oysters prefer like 50 degree weather too… What he’s not showing you is how to make your own grain spawn. Which is where the pressure cooker and popcorn come in.

1 Like

That was an interesting video. I may give it a try later and keep learning for a bit

Anyway, I will be busy for a while clearing out an area in my yard for my corn, tomatos and such. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Micro Crisphead Lettuce

Micro Buckwheat

2 Likes

Amazzing! :slightly_smiling_face:

How would you eat them?

You just get a sharp knife, cut them down, salad.

1 Like

The mushrooms, I usually dry them out in the dehydrator, powder them up and put them in capsules.

1 Like

The supermarket had some microgreens so I at least have a place to get some. They were a little wilted though; yours look much fresher.

I also have some purslane growing wild in a couple of places in my yard. A minute or two in boiling water with a little butter and salt is all the cooking that it takes. It is considered a superfood as well.

2 Likes

Some of my tomato plants are turning yellow. I think we need to fertilize them more frequently.