Peppers planted

Well the first tray anyways… 72 cells… I’m doing two 4x8 raised beds of peppers, roughly 54 plants in each one… Now some people will think this is a little too close together but trust me, it’s not.

I’m going to have my most productive gardening year ever unless the weather is totally uncooperative.

This winter was so mild here that my Serrano pepper plant and my tomato plants survived and continued producing through the season.

It’s interesting; sort of weird actually.

Yeah our winter up here has been very mild and dry, I worry about the summer.

Keep that pepper plant alive, it should really produce this year.

Winter here has been brutal.

Yeah, me too.

Could be horrendously dry and prone to forest fires.

It’s not only alive, it’s thriving. We’ve been harvesting hot peppers from it the entire winter.

It’s in great shape.

1 Like

Mine that I’ve been keeping alive in the basement are trying to flower like crazy but I’ve been picking them off because I don’t have enough light to grow the peppers. In fact I checked it out earlier after neglecting it for a few days and they had a bunch of open flowers on them that I picked off.

So here’s a question for ya… this is two plants in one 3 gallon pot, they grew in it all year last year, I’m sure they’re rootbound together… I want to separate them, do you think if I slice the rootball in half and plant them in the spring they’ll survive?

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/gardening-101-separating-seedl-145671

I would try to gently pull the roots apart as much as you can…and then cut where you are forced to…and then quickly put back in moist soil.

I tend to be the go for it kind of gardener, unless it’s an extremely rare and/or expensive plant…then I am a bit more careful.

Plants are often divided though.

1 Like

These aren’t seedlings at all… I planted a seedling on each side of the pot rather than throw one away.

Pretty much what I was thinking!

I think we learn a lot from “accidents”…in gardening or any part of life…lol

Just removed the humidity dome this evening.

They look beautiful Billdo. I frequently have a dampening off problem at about that stage of development. I don’t know what causes it.

Too much humidity probably, or not enough! Right now is the toughest stage… you can leave the humidity dome on longer and try to get a few more to sprout up but then you’re risking killing them with too much humidity. I’ve found the stragglers usually sprout eventually without the dome.

When I took it off, I had just let the dome dehumidify itself a little by not spraying them, then I totally removed it instead of slowly going about it.

A couple of them were needing water this morning and their cells were looking dry… so I misted them and put some water in the bottom of the tray.

I’ve been misting with a light 1/4 or so strength kelp solution, the kelp seems like it makes the seeds sprout faster and it’s a low strength fertilizer.

1 Like

Also I’m starting to get some algae growing on top pretty fiercely they need to dry out.

Nice!

I/we prepped our garden area, tilled the soil, added amendments, and finally on Sunday planted scallions, 3 kinds of bell pepper - red, green, yellow and a jalapeño, cilantro, oregano (Mexican), 3 kinds of tomato, and some sweet peas along the fence.

We planted some seeds as well for an herb garden, and some seeds and bulbs for flowers.

I pulled some yarrow, it was everywhere! A little yarrow goes a long way in my book. Plus other flowers and hanging baskets as well. Basically spent Saturday and Sunday outside.

It was a great weekend…the weather was amazing.

Sounds like you put in some work! I would like to grow some scallions but I don’t know anywhere to buy plants, can you buy bunches of them at the grocery store and use those? Wouldn’t that kind of defeat the purpose though?

It’s starting to warm up here finally and I’m going to get started on mine as soon as the mud dries up a little, the snow should be done melting today.

Yep that’s what I’ve done…I buy those in the grocery store, and take the white part that we don’t use and stick it in the ground…then you cut the green off for your use and start all over…

I can’t imagine waiting for snow to melt so I can garden…yikes!

1 Like

I’ll try the grocery store scallions, I didn’t realize you could eat them first.

It was below zero just the other day and dumping a foot or two of snow a week ago, now the daytime temps are going to be 50’s and 60’s.