Review of Dune, by someone who was stoned

In other exciting SciFi news… another awesome classic book nobody’s ever read

Highly underrated song.

1 Like

Actually the band was underrated too.
Reasons (bearing in mind I graduated HS that year)
One: They had to compete with (Frankie Valli and) the Four Seasons which weren’t strictly a vocal band, among others
Two: They were a remarkably good vocal group but the doo-wop era was over and the motown sound hadn’t arrived.
Three: They made the WORST possible name choice. The last Edsel rolled out of Dearborn in November 1959 and the brand was a joke.

1 Like

The Edsel is I am sure still a cautionary tale in Business and Economics classes today. As a case where no matter how well you research and design and focus group and test market, the economy can have other plans that aren’t about you, but will kill you nonetheless.

Edsels launched during a recession, and never recovered obviously.

1 Like

That would be funny if in Rendezvous With Rama, the mysterious vessel encountering Earth in the story was actually an Edsel.

1 Like

FoMoCo in the mid fifties was too heavily driven by marketing guys. The 56 Fords which were launched in a “facelift” year to begin with, had dished steering wheels and seat belts and the selling points were all about Safety, which (despite consumer awareness that cars were death traps) was not a selling point at all when buyers came into the showroom looking for their Demon Lover.

And the Edsel launch, in addition to the marketing crap, was mostly an ego exercise by Hank the Deuce who was all about retiring Dad’s stodgy shit and had, after all, modernized the company, hired the Whiz Kids, and successfully resurrected the Continental so a new brand seemed like a great plan even if he named it after his dead dad, who had successfully intro’d Mercury in '39.

By the end of the decade, the bean counters were in charge and the mantra became “minimize the downside risk.”

1 Like

Holy shit, look who’s going to play the Padishah Emperor in part 2

Oh, and this Butler guy will be Feyd-Ruatha, so that answers that question.

Is this “Austin” chap in any way associated with Mike Meyers?

Florence Pugh vs Zendhya: now there’s a dilemma worthy of the universe.

Of course, Aragorn should have ended up with Eowyn, so…

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more melange! And cowbell!

Looks like Feyd will be played by Austin Butler (currently playing Elvis next to Tom Hanks’ Col. Tom Parker).

A good choice.

I had heard they were considering Austin Abrams, but couldn’t make the schedules work.

As a disappointment, that must really have been a Sting.

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more spice

I will kill him! Thankyuh, thankyuhverrmuch.

[witty Florence Pugh quote goes here]

“Such a poser”.

I just read that there was a scene about this that was deleted, and will be put into part 2.

Revised Florence Pugh caption: “what?! No nude scene in this one?”

1 Like

Now March 2024.

1 Like

Spoiler alert: the winning name is relevant to this thread.

Oh, and also this.